Sunday, May 3, 2009

Shredding the Ant-gnar-ctic

It's official. I've shredded the southern continent.

Finally got my first day off today. Too windy for boating, but the temps were in the high 30's so I thought I'd find something else to do outside. Time to drag a board up the hill for some much needed shredding.



From Palmer station you can hike up the glacier about 45 minutes to where the crevasses start.



It's actually a pretty good slope when the snow is good. There's Palmer down at the bottom.



Sweet...




Here it is. Proof! The snow was nice and soft where I could find it, but in between was some pretty awful glacial ice. I managed to carve my way around a lot of it, but every now and then there was no choice but to scrape my way through. Familiar territory for east coasters...





All in all not a bad day out. The wind was definitely blowing strong, but it was a nice warm wind so it really just made it kind of hard to walk. I'm sure the boarding will get a lot better once we start getting some snow. Of course by then there will only be a few hours in the day to get out and do anything.



Check out the full album :
http://photos.jeff.braucher.net/20090503Shredding

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you haven't wasted any time getting out and tearing it up on that snow slope! Keep up the good work...

    Cheers, Pete

    ReplyDelete